
"A quick head count ended up at zero..."
According to the Express & Echo: 'Clyst Rovers are on the verge of folding after their bid to join the Devon & Exeter League was rejected, according to chairman Bob Chamberlain. The furious Waterslade Park chief stormed out of the D&E League's annual meeting last week, when clubs voted to throw out Rovers' application to join Division One. Chamberlain claims confusion over a proposed link-up with Exmouth Town and how it would affect the Southern Road side's reserve team led many to give Clyst the thumbs down. And the chairman is enraged the misunderstanding appears to have cost Rovers survival. Chamberlain said: "I am disgusted at the league's decision. "It looks like we are folding. It is sad when you consider all the time and effort which has gone into the club over the years. There was confusion because the clubs were told Exmouth were withdrawing their reserve team to make way for us — that was not the case. "To be kicked out of the Devon & Exeter League on a technicality is an injustice." Rovers have been blighted by uncertainty over their Waterslade Park home for years, because Devon County Council has earmarked the ground and surrounding land for a 110-acre business park development. Rovers have been told they must be out of their ground by March 23 next year to allow building work to begin. Chamberlain was confident they could complete their 2010/11 fixtures by then, but agreed a contingency plan which would have seen his club use Exmouth's ground if required. In return for the potential use of Southern Road, Town would treat Rovers as a reserve side and disbanded their own second team in Division Six of the Devon & Exeter. But Chamberlain says that proposal caused confusion for the league members. Chamberlain said: "Exmouth thought it was a good idea as we were set to be put into Division One of Devon & Exeter, so they could use us as reserves. "But the Exmouth secretary got the wrong end of the stick and told the league they would be withdrawing their reserve side in favour of Clyst, which wasn't what we wanted — that wasn't the case." Chamberlain is considering appealing against the league's decision, but his pleas appear destined to fall on deaf ears. He said: "We are going to try and appeal the decision. I spoke to (league general secretary) Chris Davey and asked if I could email all the teams, but he said I would be wasting my time. "I'm not wasting my time. I'm doing my best but I feel like people have got something against Clyst Rovers." Davey confirmed the annual meeting's overwhelming majority against Rovers meant it was unlikely they would join the Devon & Exeter League. Davey said: "Clyst claimed they would be playing at Waterslade Park, but I had evidence they would be playing at Exmouth. It caused confusion. "There is no chance of them playing in the league next season as far as I and the member clubs are concerned. "Bob asked if I could change the decision but I'm not prepared to do that. I feel sorry for them, but I won't put it to the vote again because the last one was so overwhelming.'
No comments:
Post a Comment